
Unwind with a Nightcap: Melbourne's BEST Ferntree Gully Hotel Motel!
Unwind with a Nightcap: My (Mostly) Glorious Ferntree Gully Hotel Motel Odyssey! (AKA: Seriously, Melbourne's BEST?)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea – or, more accurately, the chamomile infusion – on Unwind with a Nightcap: Melbourne's BEST Ferntree Gully Hotel Motel!. This isn't your sterile, brochure-perfect hotel review. Oh no. This is real life, folks. Expect a few wrong turns, a dash of "oops," and a whole lotta opinionated me.
First things first: the "BEST" claim. That's a bold statement, right? Let's break it down, shall we? Because even if they don't have the literal best, they've got some serious game.
Accessibility and Safety: Feeling Safe and Sound (and Hopefully, Not Tripping!)
Right off the bat, I give them a thumbs-up for the basics. (CCTV in common areas) and (CCTV outside property) gives a good peace of mind on the security front, especially when arriving late. Plus, there’s (Fire extinguisher) in the hallway. Crucial.
Accessibility is key. While I didn't personally need a wheelchair, the website (and, honestly, my sleep-deprived state) didn't scream "ultra-accessible." I’d love to see some more detailed info here – a little more transparency is always a win. (Facilities for disabled guests) is listed, though details are absent. I’ll reach out if I have to come back later, it’s a non-negotiable in this modern era.
The COVID-19 protocols? They're trying! (Anti-viral cleaning products), (Daily disinfection in common areas), (Hand sanitizer) everywhere… They clearly understand “hygiene theatre” is also good business. (Room sanitization opt-out available) is a nice touch. (Staff trained in safety protocol) – hopefully, that means they know how to handle a mask-draped Karen asking for "the manager."
Rooms: My Kingdom for a Decent Sleep (and Wi-Fi!)
Ah, the rooms. My home away from home… or at least, a place to crash while I dream about not doing any laundry. The (Air conditioning) was a lifesaver during the Melbourne heatwave I somehow managed to book myself into. (Blackout curtains)? Priceless! I even felt like an actual human with the (Alarm clock) next to me.
Internet access, thankfully, was easy peasy. (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!) is a must these days. (Internet [LAN]) still exists? Okay then! (Internet access – wireless), (Internet access – LAN) – choose your own adventure! Though truthfully I just want my phone to work without the constant buffering.
I spent way more time in bed than I should have, so the (Extra long bed) was super appreciated. I'm tall, okay? Don't judge! Also, the little touches matter. (Coffee/tea maker)? Essential for the undead. (Complimentary tea)? Even better. (Ironing facilities)? Finally, a chance to look semi-presentable!
And the (Desk) … I ended up working on a novel outline while there. I'm sure that's a first.
Things to Do (or Not): Relaxing and Pampering and… Well, Anything, Really!
This is where "Unwind with a Nightcap" really leans into its name. They've got (Sauna) and (Spa/sauna). However, just thinking about being naked with strangers makes me shudder. I will definitely report back if I cave. I am more a fan of (Swimming pool [outdoor]). The (Pool with view) sounds absolutely amazing, though I'm not sure what I would be looking at. More trees? More sky? Either way, I'm in.
They also offer (Body scrub) and (Body wrap). The thought of someone rubbing me down with… whatever… is a little intense, but hey, maybe I'll embrace my inner goddess.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventures
Okay, the food situation. This is important. They have (Restaurants)! (Asian cuisine in restaurant)! Happy hour! (Poolside bar)! I'm practically drooling. (Room service [24-hour])? Sign me up. What am I, an animal?
I didn't manage to order (Soup in restaurant) on this trip, but I can tell you, there are a lot of things on the menu and a lot of options. And a (Bottle of water) already inside the room, I adore you!
Services and Conveniences: Because Life is Chaotic
(Daily housekeeping). Bless them. (Laundry service)? My hero. (Dry cleaning)? Tempting, but I haven’t actually owned anything worthy of dry cleaning since… well, let's just say a long time. (Concierge)? Always a lifesaver when you’re hopelessly lost (which, let's be honest, is most of the time). (ATM/cash withdrawal) – a must for those last-minute impulse buys. (Cashless payment service) for ease. I'm a fan.
For the Kids (If You Have Kids):
They are (Family/child friendly), which is either a blessing or a curse depending on your perspective. They might offer (Babysitting service) and (Kids meal).
Getting Around: Because You Probably Want to Leave Eventually
(Car park [free of charge])? YES. (Car park [on-site])? Even better. (Taxi service)? Crucial. Having the (Airport transfer) would be great.
The Quirks, the Quirks! (AKA: Honest Opinions)
Look, no hotel is perfect. But this one… it felt real. It felt like a genuine trying. I walked around feeling like they actually cared about me.
My biggest (and only, to be honest) complaint? The Wi-Fi was a little spotty at times, especially during the evening rush when everyone was trying to stream their fave shows. They fixed it like lightning and gave me a voucher to get a nightcap! The service was great.
My Final Verdict: Should You Book?
YES, ABSOLUTELY. Book it now. Seriously.
If you're looking for a place to escape the daily grind, unwind, and enjoy a little bit of luxury without the pretension, Unwind with a Nightcap is a fantastic choice.
Here's the Deal:
Book now and get:
- A COMPLIMENTARY night cap at the bar
- A guaranteed room upgrade (subject to availability) if you mention this review in your booking.
- 10% off spa treatments.
(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the hotel. This is just my honest experience.)
So what are you waiting for? Go on. Book it. You deserve it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to research whether a body wrap really is worth it…
Escape to Paradise: Charming Dives-sur-Mer Apartment Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, corporate travel brochure. This is ME, IN MELBOURNE, at the Nightcap at Ferntree Gully Hotel Motel, and this itinerary? Well, it’s gonna be a wild ride. Let’s see if I can remember ANYTHING, and if I don't, well, that's part of the charm, right? Here goes nothing…
Nightcap at Ferntree Gully Hotel Motel: A Humanistic Adventure (AKA Surviving Melbourne)
Day 1: Arrival and the Existential Question of the Room
14:00 (ish) - Arrival (more like stumble-arrival): So, lemme tell you, getting from the airport… ugh. Google Maps said "20 minutes." Lies. All lies. Melbourne traffic is a beast. Finally, I hauled my luggage (the 'emotional baggage' kind, mostly) into the car-park.
- First Impressions: Okay, the sign promises a "Nightcap." I like the sound of this. And it's… a motel. A motel with character. Let’s say it has… history. The kind you find in dusty photo albums and slightly-stained carpets.
- The Room Reveal: Key in hand, I gingerly pushed open the door. Ah, the sweet, sweet smell of… well, I'm not entirely sure. But there was a distinct "Australian Mildew" vibe going on. The bed? Surprisingly comfy! (And I'm a mattress snob.) I sprawled out immediately. Felt pretty good. Okay.
15:00 - Deciding Where to Eat: This is the most stressful thing. I'd been dreaming/overthinking about a proper Aussie Pie since I booked the trip. Checked the local restaurants, which were a bit bland. I spent literally half an hour staring out the window, contemplating the meaning of life, and whether I should just order room service (which, by the way, was a total letdown). I ended up making a half-hearted decision and getting a Uber to an authentic Pub, I will call this "The Pub."
17:00 - Dinner at The Pub: Alright. I made it. To The Pub. It was…loud. The decor, I think, involved a lot of dark wood and (probably) a taxidermied kangaroo. The bartender, a woman with eyes that have seen things, delivered a pint and suggested I avoid the burger. I had the pie, and OH MY GOD. Bliss. Utter, glorious bliss. That pie saved my life. I felt like a proper Aussie. For ten beautiful minutes.
19:00 - Evening in Room: I realized I was on my own. I watched some mindless TV, the kind with constant ads for insurance. Then, I laid in bed and started to think about tomorrow…and if I was ever going to find some connection here.
Day 2: Dandenong Ranges and (Attempted) Serenity
08:00 - Breakfast Mishap: The motel's continental breakfast? Let's just say it wasn't Instagram-worthy. I ate a dry piece of toast and considered sneaking a second coffee pod. I did it. No regrets.
09:00 - Drive to the Dandenong Ranges: Okay, this was the point of being in Ferntree Gully. The mountains! The trees! The… fresh air? I got a rental car (another adventure entirely. Australian roundabouts are a mystery I haven’t cracked yet). I navigated (or more accurately, attempted to navigate) the winding roads. The GPS was a liar, and the car was a struggle.
10:30 - A Walk in the Woods (or Mostly Panic in the Woods): I found a trail and attempted a bit of a hike. It was beautiful. Lush. Green. And then… I saw a spider the size of my hand. Panic ensued. I developed a sudden appreciation for the open plains. I ended up cutting the walk short (and probably missing out on incredible views) because my inner arachnophobe took over. Still, the air was nice.
13:00 - Lunch: I stumbled upon a cute little cafe in the town of Sassafras. Okay, this place was all fairy lights and twee decor. I felt like I'd stepped into a Hallmark movie. I had a BLT and a milkshake. Decent.
14:30 - Puffing Billy (and the Pursuit of a Good Photo): One of the major things I have on my list. The train was lovely, but the camera gear was…overwhelming to a degree. I was a mess. But the ride. THAT was worth it. The views were breathtaking.
17:30 - Back at the Motel: I felt a little raw. The day had been a mix of awe and anxiety. I just wanted to chill. I ended up having a really long bath, and then watching a movie - and falling asleep halfway through.
19:00 - Dinner at the Motel: The food was definitely a low-light. Nothing amazing.
Day 3: Melbourne City and a Dose of Reality
- 09:00 - Pack and check out of the motel: I packed with a sense of both relief and sadness. I'd survived! (And that spider hadn't found me.) Goodbye, Nightcap! You were… something.
- 10:00 - Drive to City The drive wasn't as bad today.
- 11:00 - Shopping: I like shopping. I went around some major stores and bought things.
- 14:00 - Restaurant I found a super-cool vegan restaurant (the food was great).
- 17:00 - Back to airport Everything was fine.
Reflections and Takeaways:
- The Motel: I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend the Nightcap at Ferntree Gully to the Queen. BUT it's comfortable. It's real. It's a convenient location for exploring the Dandenong Ranges. And it gave me something to write about.
- The Pie: Absolute winner. Seek out good pies.
- The Spiders: I need to work on my fear.
- Melbourne: Melbourne is like a chaotic love affair. It’s beautiful, it’s challenging, and you might end up wanting to run screaming at any moment. But you also find a connection somewhere.
- Me: I need a vacation from my vacation.
So yeah. That was it. My Melbourne adventure. It wasn’t perfect. It was messy and imperfect. And in a way, that’s what made it… human. Now, where’s the next adventure?
Bandung's BEST Villa: 3BR, Pool, Paradise Awaits! (The Baning House)
Is this *really* the "BEST" hotel motel in Ferntree Gully? Like, BEST-BEST? Because, let's be honest, it's Ferntree Gully.
Alright, let's get this out of the way. "BEST" is… subjective. It's like saying olives are "BEST." Some people *love* 'em, some people actively recoil and gag. Look, is it the Ritz? Absolutely not. Is it overflowing with marble fountains and Michelin-starred chefs? Nope. BUT, and this is a big but, for Ferntree Gully? For a weary traveler who's, say, just spent three hours wrestling a particularly aggressive flatpack wardrobe from IKEA (true story, by the way – I was ready to throw myself – and the wardrobe – out the window!), it's a haven. It’s clean-ish. The beds, I swear, they seemed clean, anyway. And the nightcap? Well, that's where the magic… or at least the temporary amnesia… comes in. So yeah, BEST for a *certain* demographic. The tired, the slightly defeated, the IKEA-scarred.
Okay, nightcap. What's the deal with that? Is it included? And is it any good? I'm a craft cocktail snob, so don't lie to me.
Hah! Craft cocktail snob, are we? Okay, let’s be real. Included? No. But they *do* have a bar. It's… utilitarian. Think: fluorescent lighting, maybe a slightly sticky counter. The nightcap? Well, it's a simple pleasure. Think, a perfectly poured, not-too-expensive, glass of whatever you fancied. I went for the whiskey, it had a distinct taste, it was not the best in the world but after a day on the road it was the best I needed. It was exactly what was needed. The beer was cold, and the staff were friendly enough when you are just in need of a place to lay your head. And sometimes, that's enough. It would not be a fancy cocktail, maybe I'm not saying it's great, but it's perfect for the purpose it served! And hey, you can bring your own, right? Just sayin'.
What are the rooms like? Are they as depressing as I imagine a motel in Ferntree Gully might be?
Depressing? Okay, let's say *functional*. My room, bless its slightly-dated interior, wasn't *depressing*. It had a TV. It had a bed (as mentioned, possibly clean, definitely adequate). It had a bathroom with hot water (a crucial win!). Look, it's not the Four Seasons. It’s a motel. There’s a certain… *charm* to a slightly worn motel room. You get the sense that a million stories have happened within those four walls. The walls themselves probably could tell a few. And you know what? After driving all day, or surviving a particularly challenging flatpack build (a wound that still hasn’t quite healed), functional is a beautiful thing. I'd take functional over fancy any day of the week!
Is there parking? Because I'm terrified of Melbourne parking.
Oh, honey, yes. Blessedly, gloriously, YES. Free parking. Loads of it. You can practically park your car *in* the room. (Okay, not literally, but you get the idea.) Melbourne parking is a special kind of hell – a congested, expensive, meter-obsessed hellscape. The free parking at "Unwind with a Nightcap" is a significant selling point. It's practically a religious experience after a day of navigating the city. Seriously, park with no dramas! It’s one of the best things.
Can I get breakfast? And, look, be honest, is it a continental spread of sadness?
Breakfast, ah yes. Yes, you can. And the answer, sadly, is… yes and no. I mean, I *think* they offer breakfast. I’ll level with you, that's my absolute worst nightmare and I didn’t try it. I’m not the morning person, let’s just say that. Based on my limited intel, It's basic. Think, toast, cereal, maybe some fruit… if you're lucky, and it’s not already gone. Don't expect a gourmet experience. Honestly, if you’re a breakfast person, my sincere advice? Hit up a local cafe. There's probably a perfectly decent one a short drive away. Trust me on this. Embrace the local cafes and skip the sorrow. Especially, if you just came off the heels of that IKEA flatpack!.
Are there any nearby attractions? Or am I just stuck in Ferntree Gully?
Look, Ferntree Gully isn’t exactly Paris. But it's not the end of the world, either. There's Dandenong Ranges National Park nearby – go hike. There's some quirky shops if you enjoy browsing, and all your basic amenities are just a short drive away. It's more of a launching pad than a destination, honestly. You're close enough to Melbourne to get to the city easily, but far enough to escape the chaos. So yeah, you’re not *stuck*. Think of yourself as an explorer setting out from base camp. Or maybe, just maybe, enjoying a quiet night away without the hustle and bustle. It really depends on your mood, and who you’re with. Either way, it’s fine.
The name implies relaxation. Did you actually...you know...unwind?
Did I unwind? Let's just say, I definitely lowered my blood pressure. After the IKEA fight, the drive, and, let's be honest, the existential dread of adulting… yes. That whiskey, those few hours of peace… I unwound. And the best part? No expectations. No pressure for the best. Just the simple, honest goal of sleep. Pure bliss. I slept so well that night. And honestly, that's sometimes the best reward of all. You should stay there. It's worth it.
Any final thoughts? Don't leave me hanging!
Look, Unwind with a Nightcap isn't a five-star experience. It’s not going to win any awards. But it is… *honest*. It's a place to rest your head. A place to (potentially) escape the flatpack horrors. A place to have a nightcap that isn't the greatest but serves its purpose. If you need a clean place to sleep, with easy parking, and the promise of a slightly-less-stressed tomorrow... then yeah. Give it a shot. It's not fancy, and it's not perfect. But sometimes, that's exactly what you need. Just go, enjoy it for what it is! And please, tell me about your experience. And bring yourInfinity Inns

