
Liuqiu Island's Hidden Gem: Discover Xiao Dao 50!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the turquoise waters and sun-drenched secrets of Liuqiu Island and its "Hidden Gem": Xiao Dao 50. Let's be real, "Hidden Gem" is thrown around a lot, but I'm hoping this place actually is. I'm going to dissect it, prodding the corners, smelling the air, and giving you the real deal, not some sanitized brochure version. Because, let's face it, travel never goes perfectly, and that's half the fun, right?
First, the basics: Accessibility, the "Gotta Have Its" and the "Meh, Not So Much"
Right off the bat, this is Island living so, accessibility is already a worry. My review won't be perfect. I might miss things. But I'll try.
- Accessibility: Let's be honest, I'm going to guess that true wheelchair accessibility on a small island is likely to be a challenge. I'll keep an eye out for details, though!
- Internet: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? YES! Okay, good start. I hate paying for Wi-Fi. And the fact they tout "Free Wi-Fi in public areas" too is pretty standard but appreciated. And there is Internet [LAN] so that is a plus.
- Things to Do: Okay, there are a lot to do on the island. We'll circle back on this. But "things to do" is something I'll definitely look at later.
- Cleanliness and Safety (The COVID Era Edition): This is huge right now. "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Individually-wrapped food options" – all the buzzwords are there. But words are cheap. We want to see it. I'll be paying extra attention to how seriously they take this. Room sanitization opt-out? Interesting. I'd definitely want to know if that's a possibility. Also, there is a doctor/nurse on call, which is a good safety net, and first aid kits.
- Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Listen, this is where I get serious. I am a self-proclaimed foodie and a snack enthusiast. "Asian cuisine in restaurant," "International cuisine in restaurant," and a "Vegetarian restaurant"? My interest is piqued. A "Snack bar" is a MUST. My blood sugar levels depend on it. "Room service [24-hour]" is a godsend when the island fever hits at 2 AM.
- Services and Conveniences: Air conditioning is a must on a sub-tropical island. Thank goodness. A "Convenience store" on-site? YES! Cash withdrawal is good. Luggage storage? Essential. Elevator? That's actually important if it's a multi-story building.
- For the Kids: "Family/child friendly" is good. "Babysitting service"? Great! I don't have kids, but it is good to know that it is there even if I wasn't.
- Getting Around: Airport transfer? YES! I hate the hassle of taxis after a flight. "Car park [free of charge]"? Even better!
- Available in All Rooms (The Comfort Factor): Air conditioning? (Phew!) A coffee/tea maker? Yes, please! Free bottled water? Essential. Free Wi-Fi? Double yes! A refrigerator? Again, vital for cold drinks and midnight snacks.
Now, the Deep Dive: The Nitty Gritty and the Unexpected
Okay, let's get down to brass tacks. What really matters when you're on vacation?
The Vibe: I’m looking for a place with character. A place that feels like it belongs on Liuqiu Island, not some generic hotel chain plopped down in paradise. What kind of "Shrine" is located on the island is a question I have!
My Must-Haves (and Pet Peeves): I need a comfortable bed with good pillows. Blackout curtains are non-negotiable. A decent shower with good water pressure would be heaven (I'm easily pleased). And please, please, let them have proper coffee in the rooms. I'm not asking for much, am I?
The Food Frenzy: This is where it gets exciting. This is a must!
- The Asian Breakfast: If it's anything like the breakfast I had on my previous trip, it's going to be a highlight.
The "Ways to Relax" Angle: Okay, so they've got a "Pool with view." That's… intriguing. I'm imagining myself lounging by a pool, cocktail in hand, gazing out at the ocean. Maybe some sunshine.
- Massage? Absolutely necessary after all that island exploring.
- Spa? Sauna? Steamroom? Alright, Xiao Dao 50, you're getting my attention.
The Little Things that Matter:
- Daily housekeeping: Essential for sanity.
- Room decorations: This can really make or break a place, in my experience.
- The Terrace: I'm always looking for a little space to unwind.
My One, Glorious, Epic, Moment: The Pool with a View
Okay, so picture this: You've spent the day snorkeling, exploring the caves, maybe even stumbling around the markets. The sun has already gone down. You're a little tired, a little sandy, and definitely hungry. This is EXACTLY the moment you need a pool with a view.
The pool is not huge, maybe only a dozen people can comfortably swim, but it’s stunning. You are looking out over the island. The water is sparkling, reflecting all the changing colors. The air smells like salt and something floral (you can never remember what those are, but it's amazing). I want to be in the pool as dusk falls, with a colorful cocktail in hand. This is the only thing I'll remember from Xiao Dao 50.
The Weaknesses:
I'm a little worried about the lack of a fitness center -- If I get on the island, I probably will need to be able to go to one. I am not sure how well I can relax without one.
The Final Verdict (and the Compelling Offer!)
Okay, here's the deal: I'm going to go for Xiao Dao 50. They have enough of the important things to meet my needs.
Here's my pitch, and the offer:
"Escape the Ordinary: Discover Liuqiu Island's Hidden Gem, Xiao Dao 50!
Tired of the same old vacations? Craving an adventure? Want to dip your toes in turquoise waters and soak up the sun? Then it's time to discover Xiao Dao 50 on Liuqiu Island!
We promise:
- Unwind & Rejuvenate: Soak in our outdoor pools with a view, or indulge in a massage!
- Savor the Flavors: Indulge in authentic Asian cuisine and international dishes.
- Stay Connected (But Disconnected From the Mundane): Free Wi-Fi keeps you in touch, while our island paradise lets you leave your worries behind.
- Safety & Hygiene: We're committed to your well-being with rigorous cleaning protocols. Book now and receive a complimentary welcome cocktail on arrival! Don't miss this opportunity to experience the magic of Liuqiu Island. [Link to Booking Page]"

My Messy, Wonderful, And Probably Sunburnt Liuqiu Adventure (50號!)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly polished, Instagram-filtered travelogue. This is the real deal. This is me, sweating, swearing a little (okay, a lot), and probably losing my sunglasses at least twice in the next few days in Liuqiu Island (小島) 50號.
Day 1: Arrival, Jellyfish, and the Tyranny of Sand
10:00 AM: Kaohsiung Harbour - Ferry Fiasco (or, Where Did I Put My Passport?)
Okay, let's be honest. My pre-trip excitement had me picturing breezy boat rides and dramatic ocean vistas. Reality? A sweaty shuffle through a crowded Kaohsiung harbor, desperately patting down pockets, muttering, "Passport… passport… don't tell me I left it in that questionable noodle shop!" (Spoiler alert: I didn't, thank God). Finally found it, practically hugging the security guard in gratitude. The ferry ride itself was… well, it was a ferry ride. But the anticipation was KILLING me.
11:30 AM: Arrival at Liuqiu – "Wow, It's… Small."
Stepping off the ferry, I was met with the usual tropical onslaught: heat, humidity, and the immediate urge to rehydrate. Liuqiu is small, and I mean small small. All the guidebooks talk about "quaint streets" – I'd call them "streets you could theoretically walk across in a minute." My guesthouse, "Ocean Breeze Retreat" (or something equally generic – it had a blue sign, which was helpful), looked promising.
12:30 PM: Lunch – The Seafood Dilemma
First order of business: food. The tiny streets were a buffet of tempting smells. I ended up at a place with a ridiculously enthusiastic lady waving a fried squid at me. I caved. It was… interesting. Chewy is an understatement. But hey, I’m nothing if not adventurous (and starving).
2:00 PM: Snorkeling with the Jellyfish of Doom
This was the main draw, right? The snorkeling. I grabbed my gear eagerly. Water was cool, the fish were fantastic, and I was like a kid in a candy store. However, then the jellyfish arrived. Not a swarm, more like a slow, creepy patrol. One grazed my arm. Did I panic? Yes! Did I scream? Maybe a little. Did I still enjoy it? Actually, yeah. Even with the occasional tentacle brushing my skin, the coral reef was beautiful. Totally worth it.
4:00 PM: Beach Bumming (and Sand In Every Crevice)
It was all good until I decided to be a beach bum. I was so zen, just chilling on the beach. The sand. Oh god the sand. It's like, it's everywhere. In your hair? Yes. In your swimsuit? Oh, absolutely. In places you didn’t even know sand could go? Absolutely. I'm still finding it. This will be a life-long burden.
7:00 PM: Dinner & Night Market Debacle
Back to civilization (of sorts) for dinner. It was all about the street food, which was AMAZING. I tried practically everything: fried rice, oyster omelet, and some weird thing wrapped in a leaf that looked suspiciously like a bug's egg. Delicious! I was riding on a high of deliciousness when I saw my own reflection. I looked like a sweaty, sunburned, food-smeared troll.
Day 2: Turtle Time, Temple Tales, and the Quest for Air Conditioning
9:00 AM: Turtle Island Tour (And the Guilt of Being a Tourist)
Okay, this was the main event. We went to visit the turtles. It was incredible to see them in their natural habitat. I swear, I’ve never felt so much guilt and I am a person that lives on the internet. It's a stark reminder of our impact on the environment. The turtles are magnificent, the coral is breathtaking, but it's a bit of a wake-up call. Be respectful, people!
11:00 AM: Temple Hopping – Lost in Translation (and Incense Smoke)
Liuqiu is dotted with beautiful temples. I'm not exactly a religious person, but I love the architecture and all the colours. Of course, I didn't know the first thing about the rituals. I tried to follow along, bowing at random, nodding at the monks, and generally looking bewildered. The incense smoke was thick, and I swear I hallucinated a dragon eating a mango.
1:00 PM: The Air Conditioning Struggle
Seriously, guys. The struggle is real. Liuqiu is HOT. Most places seem to run on a "fans only" policy, which is… challenging. I spent a good hour wandering around, just searching for somewhere to cool down. It was the ultimate struggle. It’s a good thing I’m a lightweight.
3:00 PM The Perfect View. The Imperfect Weather
They said the “wildlife” of Liuqiu was what made the island gorgeous. So, naturally, I hiked to the highest point of the island to get photos. The views are supposed to be amazing. But the weather? Not so much. I’d heard it was muggy. I didn’t expect to feel like I was breathing soup. I thought I might die from the humidity. The view was breathtaking, despite the weather, which was perfect.
6:00 PM: Dinner with the Locals and One Hell of a Sing-Along
I went to a local place my guide recommended. In a moment of bravery (or foolishness) I joined a karaoke night. Let's just say my Mandarin skills are… basic. But everyone was so lovely, laughing and singing along. I butchered a Taiwanese ballad about lost love, but it was… perfect, actually. I felt like a local for just a little bit.
Day 3: The Farewell Ferry and the Promise to Return (Eventually)
9:00 AM: Breakfast of Champions (And a Last-Minute Souvenir Hunt)
One last breakfast feast – those little Taiwanese breakfast places are like, a gift from the gods. I frantically tried to find a souvenir for my sister, but ended up falling for a Liuqiu sticker of a pig (because apparently, the island is famous for pigs).
10:30 AM: Ferry Farewell & My Eternal Love for the Sea
That ferry ride back to the mainland felt different this time. I was still sunburnt, still sandy, still pretty exhausted. But I felt a strange pang of sadness. Liuqiu is small, it has its quirks, and you will get sand everywhere. But it's also beautiful, welcoming, and full of that raw energy that only small islands can have. I'll be back. Maybe next time I'll learn some Mandarin. And maybe next time, I’ll invest in better sunscreen.
12:00 PM: Kaohsiung Bound, and all I've got is memories
I'm sitting on a train heading back to the city, and I already miss that island. I've got photos, I've got memories, and I've got sand in places I didn't even know existed. It's all good. Until next time Liuqiu. Until next time.

Xiao Dao 50: The Island's Secret (Or Is It?) - Your Annoyingly Honest FAQ
So, what *is* Xiao Dao 50 anyway? Is it even worth my time?
Is it worth your time? Depends. If you're expecting a manicured beach experience, RUN, don't walk, away. But if you're up for scrambling over rocks, getting a little scraped up, potentially seeing some amazing things (like, seriously, the marine life is killer), and don't mind a bit of a scramble, then yeah, maybe. I went with my best friend, and the memory is burned into my brain.
How do I even *get* to Xiao Dao 50? The brochures are useless!
-
The "Follow the Signs (But Not Really)" Method: Look for signs pointing towards "Secret Beach" or "White Sands Beach." Then, start looking for smaller, less obvious paths off the main road. You'll need to do a little exploring. It gets pretty sketchy in places, but that's part of the fun. (Or panic, depending on your personality.)
-
The "Local Knowledge is King" Method: Ask the locals! Seriously, chat up the restaurant owners, the scooter rental folks, anyone who looks like they might know. They'll probably tell you about a secret path or little-known view... and maybe even warn you about the crazy waves. Listen to them! I ignored some advice and almost ate it off a particularly slippery rock. Learn from my mistakes.
GPS coordinates? I could give you some, but honestly, half the fun is getting lost (the first few times, at least). Embrace the chaos!
Is it safe? (Because I'm a klutz.)
Here's the deal:
- Wear proper shoes. Water shoes are good, but hiking sandals or sturdy sneakers are better. Flip-flops? Are you trying to die?
- Check the tide. Low tide is your friend. High tide? Avoid the more adventurous areas. Trust me.
- Go with a buddy. Seriously. If you fall and twist your ankle, it's a long walk (or crawl) back.
- Be aware of the waves. Seriously, those suckers can sneak up on you! Observe the water for a while before you start scrambling around.
- Don't be afraid to turn back. There's no shame in admitting you're uncomfortable and calling it a day. Your life is worth more than a cool photo (most of the time).
What should I bring? (Besides my fear of heights...)
- Water. Lots and lots of water. The sun is relentless. Dehydration is no joke after the trek.
- Sunscreen. Seriously, slather it on. You'll be out in the sun for hours. Reapply, reapply, reapply!
- A hat and sunglasses. Obvious, but essential.
- Good shoes. I've mentioned this. Seriously.
- A waterproof bag or dry bag. For your phone, keys, and anything else you don't want to get wet.
- A small first-aid kit. Band-aids, antiseptic wipes, etc. You *will* get scrapes. Trust me.
- Snacks. Granola bars, trail mix, whatever keeps you going.
- Your sense of adventure. And maybe a healthy dose of common sense.
- A camera (waterproof is best). Because the views are fantastic.
Okay, okay, what's the "best" part of that place? (Finally!)
Then there was this little cave we found, just big enough to sit in, with the waves crashing just outside. The sound! The spray! It was so incredibly peaceful (when the waves weren't trying to knock us into the sea!). Yeah, yeah, it required some scrambling and getting our butts wet to get there, but it was worth it. Don't get me wrong: there were certainly stretches where the sun was beating down, the rocks were slick, and I was questioning my life choices. But then I'd see a sea turtle gliding by or discover a new hidden cove, and all was forgiven.
Another time, we found an area that was exposed at low tide, and covered in starfish. Hundreds of them! The colors, the textures... it was unlike anything I'd ever seen. Just... *wow*. That particular day was a low-tide day.
Look, it's not always perfect. Sometimes the water's murky, the sun is brutal, and the rocks are unforgiving. But when it's good? It's *amazing*. That's why you go.
What kind of marine life can I expect to see?

